Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I tried, I really did

So Sunday evening, I went up to my friend Elizabeth's room. The plan was to do yoga for 30-45 minutes and then go back down to my room for a few minutes to freshen up real quick before meeting a friend for church. I had skipped church the previous two weeks, but had enjoyed it the first time I went, and wanted to return.

I knew something wasn't quite right when I got to Liz's door and there were two cute pairs of shoes sitting peacefully outside her door. As far as I knew, Liz kept her shoes in her room, and besides, they were like no shoes that I had seen her wear. I knocked on the door and found it already open. I walked inside, and there were two young Korean women talking to Liz. Liz explained that they were Erasmus students and motioned for me to sit down.

They introduced themselves and the woman I sat next to said she was studying Theology. They said they were from South Korea, and I was like, "Is that the one with Kim Jong Il?" (Yes, I can be a bit ignorant. But asking questions is the way to fix that.) They looked horrified, said he was from North Korea, and started talking about how his atomic tests were terrible and that it was likely he would bomb the whole world in the "Plague by Fire" predicted in the Bible.

It started to get really weird-- they had a book full of things that looked like middle school science hand-outs that they took out and would point at. They turned to a page with an Atom bomb that said, "Plague by Fire". They then turned to a page with a picture of the Sun and the Earth with lots of scary lines coming out of the Sun that said, "Solar Winds." There was also one that had a picture of a catastrophic possible meteor collision with Earth.

But, they made it clear that if we celebrated Passover with them, we would live on because of God's promise. All of this we (Liz and I) understood. However, they kept on bringing up some vocab that we didn't understand over and over. I looked it up using Liz's computer and found that they wanted us to get baptized.

Liz tried to tell them that she was already baptized, but they made a bunch of sad faces and told her that she really wasn't (because she was baptized in the Catholic church) and that she needed to get baptized again. After a while, they asked her if she needed time to think about it and agreed to come back next week.

When I looked at the time, I saw that I had missed church.

Ironic?

No comments:

Post a Comment