Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Well, crap

It's about 3:30 in the morning on a Wednesday night/ Thursday morning. Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day, because I'm flying to Madrid to see my friend Annie. It is also going to be a full day because I have classes and such, so I have to leave my room a little before 8:30 in the morning and go directly to the airport when my class ends at 4:30.

I thought that I would get up a bit early to pack (already have a list), do a little homework, and shower so I went to bed around 10:30. I'm most productive in the morning, so it makes sense to do this instead of just staying up really late.

I was sleeping peacefully until 1 in the morning when I bolted up with the urge to do laundry. There were a few articles of clothing that I was planning on bringing with this weekend that were used but definitely still wearable, along with some other clothes that I wasn't planning to bring with but were nevertheless in need of a wash. I figured that it would be a good time, since I was awake and all, and since I figured no one would be doing laundry in the middle of a weekday night. I was right. I put my clothes in, puttered around, took a shower, and then took them out of the washer to bring them up to the dryer room.

I put my clothes in one of the 3 dryers (there were four, but one of them is broken) , chose the settings I wanted, and put in my dryer coin. It didn't start. Tried to get the coin back so I could try another dryer (had only brought one up with me and didn't want to go back down to my room to get another) but I couldn't do that, either. So I went to my room, grabbed a few coins, and headed back up to try again. I put my clothes in the dryer next to the one I had tried a few minutes ago, chose my settings, and put in a coin. It didn't start. I couldn't get this coin back, either, but I wasn't expecting to. 

Ever the optimist, I opened the third and last dryer, only to see a funny piece of machinery (part of the engine, maybe? It was fairly large) just sitting inside of it.

Hence the title of this post. Not only were the clothes I was planning to wear this weekend wet, I was also stuck with a pile of clothes that would mildew if I didn't find a means to dry them.

I tried to call a friend in a different building, but she didn't answer, which is understandable since it was almost 2:30 in the morning. Luckily for me, my buddy three floors above me was still logged into Skype, and I asked if I could borrow her drying rack. Not only did she say yes, she let me use her heater space so that more important clothes could dry faster! What a lifesaver.

So I guess that things are going to be okay. The clothes I was going to wear should be dry tomorrow, and the remaining ones are hanging safely on a drying rack. I just hope that I don't get the runs; a rumored side-effect of overdosing on vitamin C, which I have been taking like crazy since developing a sore throat Monday night (almost better!).

I really shouldn't joke, though. Someone want to knock on wood for me?

Good night!

Ingrid

1 comment: