Monday, September 21, 2009

So here's the deal...

Note: I didn't have internet for a few days, so I will be posting back posts.


Wednesday, September 16th 2009


I just arrived in Munich this morning, at about 7:30 local time. Now it is 10:30. In an hour I'm meeting a few other students to go to our first meeting. In order to get there, we have to take the U-Bahn, and I don't want to go alone.


Right now, I am settling into my unfurnished apartment. Luckily, the nice previous tenant left me some toilet paper, because otherwise I'd be screwed. I know what you're thinking: "Oh, not totally; you'd just have to take a shower after." But, you see, that would be hopeless. I didn't bring any toiletries with me except for my toothpaste, toothbrush, and deodorant, nor did I bring any towels of any kind. Oh wait, I also brought two bottles of nail polish and soap to wash my Diva Cup, for those of you who know what that is.


Speaking of the nail polish, it leaked in my suitcase. It was in a plastic bag, though, so it didn't get on anything except for the other bottle of nail polish. And all over my hands when I thoughtlessly picked it up.


I didn't want to show up to the first meeting as the chick with red nail polish all over her hands, so I started to look for soap. Maybe, I thought, the previous tenant had left some. I didn't find any soap, but under the sink there was toilet bowl cleaner and vinegar. I used vinegar. The toilet bowl cleaner said (or at least I think it did-- everything's in German) that it wasn't suitable for marble, so I figured it wasn't suitable for my hands.


So I'm typing here with hands that smell like vinegar and feet that smell like stinky feet because they were trapped in socks and shoes for the last 20 hours. I didn't get all of the nail polish off my hands, but I got most of it. I've been trying with no success to connect to the internet, so hopefully I will get more information about this at the meeting. If you are reading this, you know I succeeded. 


You may not get many more posts, though-- the plugs are different here, so I have no way to charge my computer. Right now I have the screen on the dimmest setting in an effort to conserve energy.


I'm going to go make a shopping list. At least I already have deodorant. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. you can easily buy an adapter you know - that's how i always charged my computer when i was in italy. of course, i bought mine before i left the US... i dont know how to buy one in Germany...

    ReplyDelete