Friday, September 25, 2009

The thing about Germans is . . .

. . . they all speak German. This isn't too big of a problem usually, since the majority of the population prefers to mind their own business and not start conversations. However, the people my age seem to be pretty friendly, and often instigate small-talk if I'm in the elevator with them or walking in the same direction they are. I do want German friends, really, but I'm not very confident about my language skills, and it can be embarrassing when I constantly ask people to repeat what they've said or to talk slower. It's okay though. I just can't wait until I don't have to do that.

The only way to learn is to practice. I just wish it wasn't so hard! I hope that these people that I have painfully slow and simple conversations with actually do like me and aren't annoyed. If I could go out with them, my German will improve immensely.

1 comment:

  1. hey kid, still working on my parents to get a calling card - dude, so i'm sitting in a cafe in downtown oakland, and a cop walked in, and i find myself staring at his gun in his holster... being around cops is NOT reassuring. not that he's shifty or anything. but i dunno... thinking about guns and seeing them are totally different things.
    miss you, hope you're doing well, yeah, and supposedly my dad's going shopping at costco today or tomoro, and that's where we buy our long distance cards, so that i can finally call Anna Winkler.
    peace
    sara k.

    ReplyDelete